Welcome to Mary I Students' Union
Giving you a voice, helping you to use it
Enriching your college experience!

Need help finding somewhere? Check out these links: 1)Campus & Private Accommodation 2)MISU Student Facebook Accommodation Page


Choosing your accommodation is an important part of your college experience. When it comes to your rented accommodation, no matter what the circumstances as a tenant you have rights and responsibilities as does the landlord.  It is also important for you to realise that you are entering into a legal contract and you are responsible for any damage you cause in your property.

The Lease

This is a binding document that sets down an agreed set of rules for the Landlord and Tenant.  Whilst renting accommodation you are bound by the rules of this lease.

If anything goes wrong while you are staying in rented accommodation and you haven’t signed a lease you are in a very vulnerable position. 


The lease should include:


  • The price per week/month including any extra bills and charges as well as how these will be paid.
  • The amount which has been paid as a deposit and the condition of return of the deposit
  • The length of time the property will be leased for as well as the period of notice.


The lease should be signed by both the landlord and the tenant. MAKE SURE YOU READ IT!  All housemates should sign the lease.

The Deposit

A deposit is paid on accommodation as security for the Landlord.  The sum of one month’s rent is standard deposit to pay.  You are entitled to this back within a few days of moving out (once notice is given) as long as you leave the place as you found it and all the bills are paid.

Here are some tips to make sure you get your deposit back.


  • Only hand over money when you're happy with the accommodation. Always get a receipt.
  • Take photographs of every room including any damaged items when you move in (Ask your landlord to sign and date them).
  • All rent and bill payments must by law be recorded either in your rent book* or by receipt if you have a lease.
  • Your landlord must give you a list of all furniture and appliances provided.
  • Look after your accommodation and promptly inform your landlord of any repairs needed. Allow the landlord access to make repairs.
  • Give appropriate notice when you are leaving (one month is standard notice)
  • Make sure that all rent and bills are paid and keys returned.
  • When you leave, your landlord must promptly return your deposit. The landlord may only keep some or all of the deposit to cover rent arrears or the costs of repairing any damage above normal wear and tear.
  • Remember your rent deposit belongs to you, not to the landlord.


*A rent book which is used to record details of the tenancy and all rent payments and can be purchased in the SU Shop


The Landlord

The Tenant

  • Should provide good living conditions
  • Can inspect the property but must give notice.
  • Should pay for repairs that need to be done but only if they are the responsibility of the landlord.
  • Should provide you with smoke alarms and a fire blanket.


The landlord should not:

  • Keep your deposit without valid reason.
  • Disconnect the water or power supply.
  • Ask you to leave without giving at least 28 days’ notice.  (If you are not sticking to your side of the bargain or there is serious anti-social behaviour, they can have you out in a week!)
  • Should leave accommodation as they found it.
  • Should pay rent on time can contact the landlord about problems at a reasonable hour.
  • Can have friends stay overnight or on a short term basis(ie: visiting for a few days).
  • Should contact the landlord about any damages/breakages as soon as they occur.

The tenant should not:

  • Deliberately damage property. (Don’t treat your deposit as a cost you pay to break some stuff for the craic.  If you deliberately damage property the landlord has every right to contact the guards!)



In the event of a dispute with your landlord please let us know at the Students’ Union and if necessary we will refer you to the P.R.T.B. (Private Residential Tenancies Board).

Handy Websites

If you want to know more about your rights check out: